Now is the time to start thinking about when, how and where you’ll get immunized against the flu this year. Flu season typically peaks between December and February, but you should plan on getting your flu shot early to protect yourself against this serious respiratory illness, especially considering some of the changes and challenges created by COVID-19. Onsite flu clinics have been scheduled at various City of Tacoma sites. Please make sure to complete the medical form* in advance to save time and bring your medical insurance card with you to the clinic.
Don’t forget that it is also simple to get a flu shot at no cost from an in-network pharmacy or doctor’s office!
Kaiser Permanente Members
- Appointments: No cost flu shots are available at Kaiser Permanente by appointment only. You can make an appointment through your online Kaiser Permanente account, via the Mobile App, or by calling 1-800-352-3610. If you already have an appointment to see your care team, you can ask about getting vaccinated during your upcoming doctor’s visit.
- Contracted pharmacies: Members can get their flu shot at a contracted pharmacy. No appointment is needed. Contracted pharmacies will bill Kaiser Permanente directly.
- Non-contracted pharmacies: Flu shots can be obtained by non-contracted pharmacies. If the pharmacy does not bill Kaiser Permanente Washington, then the member will need to pay for the vaccine/administration and submit a claim to Kaiser Permanente for reimbursement.
- Appointments: Look for an in-network provider who offers a flu shot through Find a doctor. Select the category Doctors by specialty and search for “flu shot.” You can also visit the immunization section of the benefit booklet or call their customer service at (855) 877-0047.
- In-network pharmacies: No appointment is necessary when you visit an in-network pharmacy, which includes Walgreens, Rite Aid, Safeway, Fred Meyer, Costco and more.
By getting a flu shot and following preventive care guidelines, you’re more likely to stay well this fall and winter. For more information, visit the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department website at https://www.tpchd.org/healthy-people/flu.
*Note: City employees who are not enrolled in a City medical plan can still receive a flu shot at one of the onsite clinics (at no cost).